Wednesday, March 5, 2008


The 20-somethings life! Right now as I edge closer to college, you all have heard me express my concerns, excitements, and worries, but every time I open my mouth to inform my peers or older colleges about my future I speak with an optimistic, decisive tone, that makes me and the individuals I'm talking to feel excited and hopeful for my future. Now if only I really felt that way.

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely excited about graduation and I thoroughly look forward to what the next stage of my life has to bring! But the thought of it all is overwhelming. I mean I’ve spent the last 22 years of my life going to school, finishing a year moving up a grade and repeating the whole process. My grades have been the deciding factor of my success and my after school activities have shaped me into the person I am now. How is it that now after 22 years of a routine I’m expected to trade all that in and start a whole new chapter. I guess through my various jobs and internships I’ve had some training as to how this whole working world thing works, but still. I feel like there is so much more that I need to be learning.

That’s how half of me feels, freaked out and scared. The other half of me is calm and confident knowing I’ve never not gotten a job that I’ve wanted, and that I’m a fully capable, respectable hard-working adult that loves a challenge and interacting with individuals. That side of me is excited and ready for this next stage.

Through all these emotions Christine Hassler’s 20 Something Manifesto has finally recognized that us 20 something’s have a tough life. Yes, I know we don’t have the world experiences and the tribulations older adults have had, but the expectations on us now and the goals we have set for ourselves have stressed us out. The book covers things like “expectation hangovers” when something we’ve set out to succeed at fails, and how to cope with that. As well as, various personal stories for other 20 something contributors.

I’m looking forward to see if this book provides any additional feedback or advice that might be beneficial to me as I navigate through these next few months. Let me know if you have any feedback or opinions on the subject. Also you can check out the Facebook site, for more information.

No comments: