Tuesday, March 11, 2008


Have you twittered lately? No, not twitter as in uttering small noises like a bird, I mean Twitter as in the newest social networking forum that allows individual to update their status in 140 characters or less.

My PR teacher brought it up at the beginning of the term, and was shocked when the majority of my PR class didn't know what it was, myself included. For you regular Facebook stalkers, Twitter is the equivalent to updating your status. The difference between Twitter and the status bar on Facebook is that Twitter's sole purpose is what people are doing.

I found myself skeptical of the site initially when my teacher told me about it, even though I am an avid updater of my status on Facebook, I didn't understand why I would want to join a network full of people I don't know and read their minute-by-minute updates of their lives.

But as I sat in class today and my fellow peers excitedly talked about their new Twitter friends and how the social networking site had connected them with other fellow PR professionals and they had learned of job opportunities I was intrigued. Logging onto Staci's blog I got an update and the 411 on all that Twitter can offer and how this one sentence phenomenon was getting her ahead in life.

Needless to say as soon as I came home I made myself a Twitter account! I'm eager to see who is out there that I can make connections with, and what everyone is up too. Who knows maybe a new opportunity lies within 140 characters...are you willing to pass up an opportunity like that?

You know me, I'm always on the look-out for new ways to find an edge in the door at a company I might want to work for. Maybe I can make friends through Twitter!? Let me know what your experiences are and if you have found it as rewarding as my classmates?

1 comment:

Staci Stringer said...

Thanks for the link to my blog Brittani! I'm glad you've found twitter it may take a few weeks to get into, but I seem to be checking it more than Facebook these days!